Positive Competition invites you to a conference co-organized with the Polish Competition Authority (UOKIK) and the Competition Law Association in Poland on the occasion of the World’s Competition Day.
The event ‘’Competition in the Digital Era” will take place on December 5th at the Ministry of Entrepreneurship and Technology in Warsaw.
The goal of the meeting is to stimulate a fruitful exchange of experience and knowledge among different communities, including academic, legal, business and government, engaged in competition policy and the economic development of Poland. The conference will focus, among others, on competition law enforcement in the modern (digital) economy, the importance of the independence of competition authorities and their new powers in light of EU regulations, as well as on designing effective leniency programs.
The President of the Authority Marek Niechciał will give an opening speech. The prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki and the minister of Entrepreneurship and Technology Jadwiga Emilewicz were also invited to give opening remarks.
The first panel will be dedicated to the impact of digital technologies on competition. Panelists will discuss various aspects of competition law enforcement and the use of competition economics in the context of new technologies and the digital economy. Among others, they will debate current competition issues related to internet platforms, price algorithms and blockchain. This panel will be moderated by Dr Marta Sendrowicz, Board Member of the Competition Law Association in Poland and Partner at Allen & Overy. The panelists will include:
- Wojciech Dorabialski, Director, Department of Competition Protection, UOKiK
- Nikodem Szadkowski, Deputy Director, Department of Market Analyses, UOKiK
- Xavier Boutin, Founding Partner, Positive Competition Economic Consulting
- Jakob Kucharczyk, Vice President, Competition & EU Regulatory Policy, CCIA
- Patrycja Gołos, Vice President, Corporate Affairs, Liberty Global, CEE/UPC
- Tom Ruhan, Chief Legal Officer, Allegro.pl
After a delicious lunch, guests will return to discuss new developments in Polish Competition Law in light of EU regulations – the Directive regarding effective enforcement of competition law by national competition authorities, ECN Plus, and the Directive regarding the protection of persons reporting breaches of Union Law. Among others, the speakers will focus on the importance of the independence of competition authorities and their new powers in light of EU regulations, as well as legal, procedural and material tools for effective leniency programs. This panel will be moderated by Agnieszka Stefanowicz-Barańska, President of the Competition Law Association in Poland and Partner at Dentons. The discussants will include:
- Anna Sekinda-Maicka, Deputy Director, Department of Competition Protection, UOKiK
- Małgorzata Szwaj, Board Member, Competition Law Association, Partner Linklaters
- Anna Vernet, Head of Unit, European Commission DG COMPETITION
- Dina Lurje, Council Member, Competition Council of the Republic of Lithuania
- Wojciech Kowalewski, Board Member, Siemens
The Vice President of UOKIK Michał Holeksa will close the Conference with his final remarks.
For a detailed agenda please see Programme_2018-12-05_EN
The event is free. Registrations, which will be accepted on the first come first serve basis, are now open here: